Monday, November 14, 2011

A Sample Grammar Lesson (using 5E model)



This is a sample grammar lesson that is prepared by me and a colleague from METU (Elit Aydın Vural)  and I used it in my pre-service training session at Gazi University.
 
A) Discuss the following items with your partner (ENGAGE)
·         How are you feeling at this very moment? Tired, happy, bored, content, etc?
·         Where do you want to be now? At home, on a beach, etc?
·         What do you want to do at the moment? Sleep? Watch telly? etc.
B) THIS ONE OR THAT ONE?? WHICH ONE? (ENGAGE)
 Which one would you like to be for a day?  Why?
                                                                             1
      


                                                                           2



3


4










                                           TIME TO RELAX                                
C) Listen to the song. What is the song about? Choose the correct one. (EXPLORE)

·         The man in the song is very hungry so he wants to eat some animals.
·         The man wants to find a beautiful woman and get married.
·         He wants to be free. The song is about freedom
·         He wants to buy a pet for himself.
D) Listen to the song again. Put the strips in order.(EXPLORE)
E) (ELICITATION/ EXPLAIN) ( FIRST FUNCTION/MEANING QUESTIONS THEN THERE ARE FORM RELATED QUESTIONS BELOW)
1.   Read the sentences below:
  I’d rather sail away like a swan.’                       I'd rather be a sparrow than a snail.’
  • Does the writer like the nature?
  •   What does he want to do?
  •   Does he like freedom?
  •   Which animals does he sing about?

  • Which one does the writer choose to be?
                         1)   a) sparrow    b) a snail

Read the sentence below:
                                                 I'd rather sail away.’

  Does the singer choose to sail away or not?
  Does he describe a preference?
  What is his preference?


Read the sentence below:
                                  I'd rather be a sparrow than a snail.’
  Is the singer choosing one of the two things?
  Does he prefer one of them?
  Which one does he prefer?
  Which word gives us his choice between two things?

2.
   I'd rather sail away’                                     ‘ I'd rather be a sparrow than a snail.’
·         In these sentences is the singer talking about present or past time?
·         What do you think the long form of I’d?

I'd rather sail away’                                          ‘I'd rather be a sparrow than a snail.’
      Do we use ING form of the verb after ‘I’d rather?
       What form of the verb do we use after ‘I’d rather’ ?
       Why do we use ‘be’ in the second   sentence?

Can you guess how we make a question? Choose the correct answer.

1) A) Would rather you swim or sunbathe?
    B) Would you rather swim or sunbathe?

2)A) Would you rather be a musician or a painter ?
    B) Would you rather to be a musician or a painter?

 3) A) Would you rather travel by plane than by bus?
     B) Would you rather travel than by plane or by bus?

F) EXPAND/ELABORATE:
                                      
                                                              QUESTIONNAIRE
                   Are you a live wire or couch potato?



Do the questionnaire.
Give 1 point for each ‘true’ and 2 points for each ‘false’ and see the results

1. I'd rather spend my holiday lying ona beach doing nothing than go sightseeing in different countries.
True                                                                                           False
2. I'd rather watch football on TV  than play it.
True                                                                                         False
3.I'd rather take the lift than walk up a flight of stairs.
True                                                                                            False
4. I'd rather spend this evening in front of TV than go to a disco.
True                                                                                        False
5. I'd rather buy a comfortable sofa than a bike.
True                                                                                            False
6.I'd rather get up late than get up early and go for a walk in the fresh air.
True                                                                                           False
7.I'd rather celebrate my birthday with a few friends than organize a crowded party
True                                                                                            False
8.Although it is not too far, I'd rather drive to work than walk there.
True                                                                                          False

No comments:

Post a Comment