Thursday, November 24, 2011

Cem YILMAZ ACTIVITY





I think it was a couple of days ago when my students got a bit bored towards the end of the lesson and they asked me if they could watch a video on youtube and I said it was fine. Then they watched the following Cem Yılmaz's video that I immediately decided to use as an activity:)

I believe this activity could be used for a variety of purposes and below you find how I use it:
  • First, students watch the video below [Cem Yılmaz speaking English and telling a Turkish joke]
  • Then, they just listen to the video without actually watching it and fill in the blanks


Here is the original script:

Nasrettin Hodja went to the lakeside. He was carrying a yoghurt cap and he was.... he was eating the yoghurt and errr someone from the village asked him:
‘What are you doing Hodja? What are... Hodja, Hodja,Hodja..’He says:
‘What are you doing?’
‘I’m mayaliing, I’m mayaliing the lake. What do I have to do? I’m mayaliing the lake.’
‘Hodja, come on! You cannot’ and the village guy said ‘Hodja, come on! Come on Hodja! What are you doing there? You are, you are.. you cannot, you cannot maya the lake!
You got it? I’m going on.... and Hodja was surprised.
‘What are you doing? You cannot maya the lake, come on Hodja.’
And Hodja turns and Hodja turns and smiles and
‘What if it happens?’...
This joke, this joke is from the 13th century..yeah...you know Nasrettin Hodja..you know him. He’s a fantastic figure of human history and he’s really great and he’s funny though. You see, you got the motto?
‘What ..what if it happens?’

Here is how I used it in my classroom (elementary level/ A2- young adults)

Nasrettin Hodja ­­­­­­­­­­­­___________  to the lakeside. He was carrying a ____________ cap and he was.... he was eating the yoghurt and errr someone from the ____________ asked him:
‘What _______ you ______ Hodja? What are... Hodja, Hodja,Hodja..’He says:
‘What are you doing?’
‘I’m mayaliing, I’m mayaliing the lake. What do I have to do? I’m mayaliing the lake.’
‘Hodja, come on! You cannot’ and the village _______ said ‘Hodja, come on! Come on Hodja! What ______ you  _______ there? You are, you are.. you cannot, you cannot maya the lake!
You got it? I’m going on and Hodja was _____________.
‘What _____ you _______? You cannot mayaliing the lake.’
And Hodja turns and Hodja turns and ________ and
‘What if ____ happens?’...
This ________ is from the 13th century..yeah...you know Nasrettin Hodja..you know him. He’s a _________ figure of human history and he’s really ________ and he’s funny though. You see, you got the motto?
‘What ..what if _____ happens?’
 I believe this activity might also be useful for teacher trainers ( subjects like the difference between spoken and written grammar etc.)

4 comments:

  1. Thank you very much for your enthusiastic Sharings...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, you are really creative. Also the activity s an important example for "authentic materials".

    ReplyDelete